Thursday, April 14, 2011

I had one of those 4 hour DC commutes today... so why am I smiling?

I had one of those 4 hour DC commutes today... so why am I smiling?
After my class ended today, I unhitched my bicycle and started heading home.  My plan was to drop off my heavy panniers full of binders, U-lock, clothing, and whatever else I put in there to add 40 lbs of "training weight" to my ride, and figure out what to do for the remainder of the lovely afternoon.  It truly was a lovely afternoon though, so when I reached the Potomac river trails that could take me South to home, I headed North.  I rode leisurely, stopping to look at my GPS to figure out where I was and where I was going and also to take these fantastic pictures I'm sharing here.

Speaking of pictures... my deep thought of the day is largely inspired by the image below.
Is it really about the bike?
Yesterday, I shared my goals of getting in shape to compete in some mountain bike races this summer.  Being fit and athletic is a big part of being happy and confident for me, but more than just the body image and endorphins, it's also about the community you become a part of when you plunge into the world of sport.  That is what I was thinking about when I passed the Mormon Temple on my ride today and decided to try and capture the juxtoposition of sport and a symbol of faith and community on my little Canon.
Do I really want to be a hard core athlete?  Or do I just want to find my niche in a community and feel a sense of camaraderie with others? 

I spent a few more miles thinking about trading in my bike chamois for knee length bloomers*, but as I pedaled, I begain to imagine my flabby white legs turned to efficient steel pistons powering my ascent on the tough stages of New Mexico's Tour de Gila (my all-time favorite bike race), and I resolved that I will do what it takes to get there by this time next year.

*Sorry if you didn't grow up 20 miles from the Utah border and have no idea what I'm talking about.

2 comments: